Therapy Dog Training
ADOPT A CERTIFIED THERAPY DOG for PERSONAL USE
Occasionally, certified and trained Therapy Dogs are available for adoption by individuals in need of a personal Therapy Dog, however, most commonly, dogs requested by individuals for specific or personal use are selected and trained after the interview process for best match to the adopter. These rescue dogs that we select for therapy work receive comprehensive evaluation and training. We focus the training to create well-mannered, balanced, calm and social companions. We ensure that the dog is comfortable with following directions from any handler. The dog is taken to variety of public locations and well acclimated to real life distractions and obstacles. Once the dog has successfully completed all training and has been evaluated to pass the certification test, we introduce and train the adopter with the dog to ensure they pass the Certification test as a team.
Basic Obedience and Advanced Training fees and adoption fees apply. See list of SERVICES & RATES below.
CERTIFY YOUR DOG AS A THERAPY DOG
You may be able to obtain Therapy certification as a Handler and if your dog has the right temperament to be a Therapy dog.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Your dog must have an even temperament and be eager and willing to meet new people appropriately. Therapy work cannot be forced on a dog. He or she must look forward to working in public and visiting people.
- Your dog must be at least 1 year old, spayed or neutered, and up to date on all vaccinations.
- Your dog must be a graduate of obedience training with a Certificate of Completion and pass the Certification Test. The test is designed to determine your dog's character and ability to handle stressful situations in both quiet and unpredictable environments.
- Handlers are also required to pass this test to determine their ability to interact with a wide variety and volume of people, to evaluate your dog’s comfort level and to be proactive in guiding your dog’s behavior in various situations.
- In the event that you and your dog are unsuccessful in the certification process and you would like to pursue certification, New Leash On Life provides the required training. Basic Obedience and Advanced Training fees apply. See list of SERVICES & RATES below.
JOIN THE LAP TEAM with YOUR DOG
To become an active and qualified volunteer member of the New Leash On Life LAP program or to maintain an active status, all Handlers and Dogs must successfully qualify as follows:
- Dog must be a graduate of Obedience Training with a Certificate of Completion.
- Dogs must be at least 1 year old, spayed or neutered, and up to date on all vaccinations.
- Handler and Dog must be evaluated by enrolling in a certification class
- Handler and Dog must pass the Lend a Paw Certification Test (see CERTIFICATION tab).
- In the event that training is needed, LAP program Training fees apply. See list of SERVICES & RATES below.
- A physical exam for the Dog by a CA licensed vet is required.
- A written agreement is included in the new member Registration process.
- Both must complete 6 hours of supervised volunteer visits within the first 60 days to be fully certified and cleared for solo visits.
- Both must complete 6 or more visits per year(every other month) on the LAP Visitation Tour (see PLACES LAP VISITS )
- Service hours must be posted at www.ourvolts.com and may be subject to approval.
- Both must attend 2 or more quarterly team meetings per year.
- Annual re-certification by NLOL is required of Handler and Dog to maintain an "active" status.
All new Lend a Paw certified and registered dogs are provided with a Therapy Dog vest, ID cards & a holder for handler and dog and a Lend a Paw T-shirt for the handler. New Leash On Life provides accidental injury coverage for all active and qualified Lend A Paw program volunteer Handlers and PL/PD coverage for damage sustained to others while the Handler is providing service on behalf of NLOL, has valid and current certification and is classified as an active and qualified member. NOTE: Handlers with expired or invalid certifications or inactive status are not insured by NLOL and are personally responsible for all sustained and caused damage. Dogs are not insured under any policy at anytime.
|SERVICES & RATES||RATES|
|Basic Obedience||Starting at $250.00|
|LAP program Training*||Starting at $1,900.00|
|Advanced Training* (Personal Use)||Starting at $3,500.00|
|Certification Test (Evakuation for new dogs)||$50.00|
|Registration Fee ** (for new LAP program members)||$250.00|
* Completion of Basic Obedience is required. ** Includes Therapy Dog vest, holder and 2 ID cards for Handler and Dog and official LAP T-shirt
LEND A PAW Certification Schedule & Fees